fbpx
Menu
Don't Eat Your Friends, Buy Legacy Foods Instead!!! ### Thank You For Visiting Preppernurse1.com - Ordering Now Available - Make Sure To Hug & Kiss The Ones You Love - S.T.D. One Step At A Time, One Thing At A Time, One Day At A Time ###
Forum/Community Rules (02 Mar 2019)

This is the short and sweet version. Most of it is just common sense. We just want to ensure a safe and welcoming environment for everyone.

Pest deterrents

More
22 Apr 2019 17:37 #1100 by trail
Pest deterrents was created by trail
This morning while walking past bags of mulch, I smelled shredded cedar. How perfect for food storage bins!
One large bag was only $3. So I'm bundling it into organza bags, old containers -- anything that will let the pungent oil odors seep out, and deter moths.

In the past I have tried cedar twigs, a coaster-sized slice of cedar, and often run a little cedar oil around the rim of jars.

Food-grade Diatomaceous earth (crumbled fossils) is also cheap, and is supposed to be too sharp for bugs -- punctures exoskeleton, and they dry out.
I don't have evidence yet, but still toss a little in outer or inner containers. It's edible silica from the sea, contains a few minerals, and is on many lists for useful solutions. (Chicken feed, flea control, parasite prevention, toothpaste, paints...).

Both could stir up allergic breathing reactions if you are already asthmatic. DE is similar to talc, and some people are sensitive to breathing cedar.
Anyway, I was excited to find the mulch so cheap.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2019 12:52 #1125 by trail
Replied by trail on topic Pest deterrents
Please login to view the answers

More
11 Dec 2020 13:34 #5685 by trail
Replied by trail on topic Pest deterrents
Please login to view the answers