fbpx
Menu
Don't Eat Your Friends, Buy Legacy Foods Instead!!! ### Thank You For Visiting Preppernurse1.com - Ordering Now Available - Make Sure To Hug & Kiss The Ones You Love - S.T.D. One Step At A Time, One Thing At A Time, One Day At A Time ###
Forum/Community Rules (02 Mar 2019)

This is the short and sweet version. Most of it is just common sense. We just want to ensure a safe and welcoming environment for everyone.

Plots n Pieces

More
17 Jul 2019 10:36 #2037 by trail
Plots n Pieces was created by trail
One microfarmer barely owned any land himself, but rented small areas from multiple homeowners. It struck me how small his spaces were, while he maintained a thriving business.

He approached homeowners, and asked if he could rent spaces as small as 20 ft. There's risk in this of course, and daily legwork. But the idea of repurposing unused residential space is intriguing.

My own yard has much unused space. This year I was fortunate that blackberries took over and I've been harvesting pint-fulls. I sometimes ignore the fruit and nut trees, or don't harvest before vegetables bolt, because time gets crunched with jobs and family. (Hourly rates for tilling, planting and harvesting don't always pan out, until a crisis hits. )

Another post mentioned an ancestor's tightly-packed yard, which reminded me of my grandparents', that held them through the Depression. Fruit trees for canning, berries for jam, barberry hedge to deter pests, rain barrels... every inch was productive.

We can get caught up watching homesteaders manage many acres... but can be grateful for what we have, use it well, and be ready to use it more when more critical. If not owning much property, we can still be resourceful and find spaces that others are willing to loan out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• stonyman002
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Jul 2019 23:28 #2053 by stonyman002
Replied by stonyman002 on topic Plots n Pieces
Please login to view the answers

More
07 Aug 2019 21:36 #2134 by trail
Replied by trail on topic Plots n Pieces

More
10 Nov 2019 03:02 #2407 by Sandy P
Replied by Sandy P on topic Plots n Pieces